Friday, September 26, 2008

Walnut Grove Lovedays

Among the Lovedays buried at the Walnut Grove cemetery are Civil War veterans Perry and Tennessee, who both served in the Union Army in Company D, 2nd Tennessee Cavalry. Their father Henry, son of Edward, served in the War of 1812.

Perry, born May 14, 1834, enlisted at age 29 in Sevierville for three years. His enlistment papers show him as 6 ft. tall with a fair complexion, blue eyes, and brown hair. Perry married Angelina McMahan, daughter of Redmon and Rebecca McMahan, in about 1853, and they had at least 7 children. He died on May 16 1867.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Janni,
I love your blog. I am researching my Loveday family tree and it is wonderful to read your stories and see the beautiful pictures you take and share. I thank you for this gift. I also love the Tennessee countryside and the tranquil beauty you capture in your photos. I would like to ask you a question if that's alright. Do you know if the Henry you mention as Perry and Tennessee's father married Rebecca and move to Marion county in the 1830's? I am descended from Charles Carter Loveday son of Henry Loveday (1800-after1880) and curious if this is the same Henry. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to seeing your future posts to your blog. Sincerely, Cindy Jackson

Unknown said...

Dear Janni,
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful pictures and stories. I love the Tennessee countryside and the beautiful tranquil pictures you take. I am researching my Loveday family and have come across your delightful blog. I am wondering if you know if the Henry Loveday you are discussing in this photo was married to Rebecca and moved to Marion County TN in the 1830's. I am descended from Charles Carter Loveday and his father was also named Henry born ~ 1800 and died after 1880. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to reading your future posts.
Best Regards, Cindy Jackson

James Cook said...

Another very neat photo