Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sevier Hurst Grave

Years ago when I was trying to piece together the family lines, Daddy's cousin Myrtle Patrick told me about the lonely graves of my great-great-great grandfather Sevier Hurst and his daughter. (Another of Sevier's daughters, Telitha married Noah Loveday, and I descend from their line.)

Apparently, Sevier died in Sevier County during the not-so-Civil War, when lawless bushwhackers and renegades roamed the mountains, terrorizing families. When Sevier and his daughter died, his wife and children were too afraid to hold a funeral in the cemetery, which was less than half a mile away. Instead, they buried them in shallow graves beside the house, with the intent to move them after the war. Of course, the war lasted much longer than anyone anticipated, and the move never happened.

Decades passed, the house disappeared, woodlands claimed the farm, and the only indications left of the graves were two stones surrounded by a fence. When Myrtle told me the story, she gave me directions: Go to the Gate Cemetery off Jones Cove Road, and from the back of it, walk 350 yards, then turn right. Walk half a mile, then turn right again. and go 350 more yards, finding the graves about 20 feet off to the right. My brother Kenny Loveday and I attempted to find them but never did.

This summer, my determined cousin George Brooks scoured a 3 mile area and finally found the graves! His report brought tears to my eyes. Although the chicken wire fence is all but gone, it seems that someone has placed a marker to honor Sevier and his daughter. The site may be found at N 35 degrees 51.818, W 83 degrees 20.032. Many thanks to Johnnie Hurst, who also helped with that effort!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey thanks for the coordinates. ive been to Seviers grave twice in the last year. The last time i was there one of the headstones was laying flat. Im not sure if a tree branch had fell on it or if it had been disturbed. I also noticed that there is a lot of activity in the area very near the graves and that there was some possible development beginning in the area. I may be speaking too early of this, but I would like to make sure that my kinsman continues to rest in peace. If in the future there is further encroachment to the point of disturbing their graves, Id like to make sure they are moved to the cemetery the family was going to put them in in the first place. Johnny hurst

Janni said...

I'm not there very often, Johnny, so please keep me posted on the developments and any concerns. I'm not sure what you mean about two headstones, because I saw only the new flat marker. You're right, the graves should be respected, and we need to do what we can to prevent any desecration. Thanks so much for your note here!

James Cook said...

That's a great story, one that's very similar to what's happened to me on a couple of occasions. Only this story is even better because the graves weren't in a cemetery. I'm thinking that if I ever locate my great-great-grandparents John A Cook and Amanda Breeden-Cook that it may happen something like what you described here.

I've had a couple of times when I was just ready to give up on my search in old Sevier County cemeteries and then just before walking away I found the graves.

I really like that you included the GPS location. I'd like to do that for all my searches in the future so that these grave locations are not lost to future generations.

Thanks for sharing your photos and stories. They are very encouraging & inspiring.