Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cherokee blood

Many families that are native to the Sevier County area claim some tie to the Cherokees. Although physical features may certainly seem as evidence, determining the actual family link may be very difficult. Even with my green eyes and light brown hair, I've been told by more than one dentist that my front teeth seem to indicate a Native American gene or two, because they are "shovel shaped," cupped with a ridge at the upper inside. Other cousins have distinctive cheek bones, and some family members are very dark skinned. I've heard the Cherokee lore about more than one of my family lines, but who can prove anything?

Most individuals from older generations were very reluctant to speak about their Cherokee ancestry, simply because of the former stigma and the Trail of Tears experience that killed so many in the relocation to reservations. Those who wanted to stay in the mountains made every effort to be inconspicuous, explaining their dark skin as being a "Black Dutch" characteristic. However, no one is even certain what that is supposed to mean. Who are the Black Dutch?

In this day, those of us who feel a connection to the Cherokee spirit and roots are left to only imagine how we inherited it, but some of us take it pretty seriously. Pictured at top in a Cherokee ribbon shirt is my cousin George Brooks, who diligently seeks to learn more about the Cherokee ways and to celebrate them. Below is the back of his wife Gail, whose dress illustrates the sheathed knife typically worn by the women. If anyone can identify the Cherokee link in any of our family lines, we would like to know it!

2 comments:

Shana said...

It is encouraging to hear of yet another with an obvious appreciation for the elusive Cherokee and Pioneer roots that many of our relatives surely shared according to the many stories I have run across in my ancestry searches for the Williams, Breeden, Webb, Jones, Proffitt, Bohannon, Hurst, and other families that surely shared life along side your ancestors.

Not too long ago, while researching my ggg grandmother, Mary [Panther, I am told]Webb Breeden b. abt. 1807, who was reportedly raised by a Joseph Webb of Jone's Cove area and also the wife of one of the Bryant Breeden's b. abt. 1800, I ran across yet a similar story about a Margaret Moore Canupp, who apparently lived about the same time as my Mary, and was also said to be Full Blooded Cherokee. In fact, I learned that both of these women had been adopted about the same time by different families, and Lo and Behold, both by families on or near Webb Mountain. Unfortunately, Mrs. Canupp was also reported to never have registered on the tribal rolls, probably for the same reasons as my ggggrandmother. I wonder just how many other families have similar stories of hidden, adopted Cherokee children on or around Webb Mountain--quite a story must be laying in wait for one of us to yet to uncover along with all of our legitimate tribal heritage. Our search must continue... Shana Dawn Williams, granddaughter of Robert Williams of Jones Cove and later, Hendersonville, NC. Kind Regards.

Janni said...

You are right, Shana, and I appreciate your observations.

Yes, I've heard the stories of both of those women. I suggest that you enjoy some time in the GenHaven chat room at http://familylobby.com/genhavenfamilygenealogy/members/default.asp
, where you can meet several folks who have interest in your lines. One of the moderators for that site tells how a descendant of Mary Panther's told about visiting with Mary where she was raised. Perhaps you can all exchange some information.

I'm actually headed to Cherokee tomorrow to research more on my lines.

Happy hunting!