Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Collins: The Melungeon Connection

Connecting with kin is just one of the blessings of exploring a family tree. In researching my mother's Kitts line, I was introduced to Norman and Sonja Collins (pictured right), who are my distant cousins and are serious genealogists.

My maternal grandfather George Washington Kitts' mother was Nellie Lucinda Collins, daughter of Aaron Collins. Norman's grandmother Clarissa was Aaron's niece, and she also married a Collins, her first cousin Tom Lee Collins. Tom Lee and Clarissa Collins are pictured left.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Hi Janni. My mother was born in Sevierville. She is a Howard. Great blog you have here. Shelly Mundy

Janni said...

Thanks, Shelly! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Do you have connections to any of my family lines there?

Gail said...

Hi Janni,

My grandmother was Magnolia Kitts, the daughter of Peter Caswell Kitts, who as you probably know was the son of Joseph Wheeler Kitts. I have never seen any pictures of any of my Kitts relatives until I came across your blog. I was and am so overwhelmed! Thank you so much for doing this. Would it be alright if I copied their pictures to show my children? Thanks again. I love it down there too. God bless.