Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cherokee research adventures

Besides being busy with the holiday activities, I took some time to explore more about Cherokee heritage. I've been reading some really good books about the culture and history, such as G. Keith Parker's Seven Cherokee Myths, and James Mooney's History, Myths, and Sacred Formulas of the Cherokee. I've visited some of the sacred sites and took time to contemplate their significance.

Here, you see Kituhwa, one of the original mother town locations that was lost during the Removal in the late 1830s. The townhouse that held the sacred fire was built upon a 15-20 foot high mound that has been reduced to about six feet, as a result of the years of farming by others. What's left of the mound is the slight green rise visible in front of the wooded hill. This 300 acre river bottom land, which lies along the Tuckaseegee below the towering height of Clingman's Dome, was bought back by the Cherokee in 1996.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful blog! I was intrigued by your mention of Strawberry Plains. The community has lost so much through the years from the Strawberry Plains College to other aspects of the history. But, I don't think anything compares to the losses faced by the Cherokee Nation. I look forward to reading more! Let me know if you're interested in exchanging blogroll links.

Janni said...

Thanks, Gayle! You and I probably know lots of the same people there in Strawberry Plains. I have some great photos of the old store that had the bottle caps all over the posts. The building burned several years ago. I was also amused to see your review of Johnson City's Harbor House Restaurant, where we frequently eat and where the popcorn shrimp is always ordered! Sure, let's tie the blogs.