Thursday, October 9, 2008

Eli Loveday and his Bible

Eli Loveday (born October 17, 1861; died August 1917) and his wife Callie (Spurgeon) farmed in what was known as Loveday Hollow (now called Hagg Hollow) off Jones Cove Road in Sevier County, TN. Both were very active in their church, Bethany Baptist, and when one young man felt called to preach, Eli taught him how to read. Eli had dark skin and a handlebar mustache. (Look at that pipe!)

In his later years Eli became blind in one eye from the cancer that eventually took his life. Callie "grieved herself to death" within the year. If our dates are correct, they had been married since they were 13 and 14 years old!

Shown here is Eli (back row, left) with his nephew Tally Breeden and "Sprig" Williams (who married Eli's niece), along with Eli's daughters Etter and Dicey and his Uncle David Loveday.

Eli's 1909 Bible records the family births and deaths, and I was able to have it photographed for the Daughters of the American Revolution Bible Project, as well as for the Sevier County Library.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the picture of Eli and Etter Loveday. Have been researching my sons genealogy. So nice to find a picture of his gg grandmother and ggg grandfather. Mickey

Anonymous said...

What a nice surprise. :) Eli was my great grandfather. His daughter Savannah Georgia Loveday was my grandmother. I can't wait to let my dad see this.

Janni said...

I'm thrilled to hear from one of Georgia's descendants! Where are you all located now? Weren't some in SC and some in TX? Care to share your email address? I've plenty more to share with you? I can immediately delete it once you post it if you like.