Saturday, October 18, 2008

Crockettsville School

Because my paternal lines lived for generations off of Jones Cove Road in Sevier County, TN, most of them attended Bethany Baptist Church and Crockettsville School. My grandparents, Jesse and Josie (Oakley) Loveday were sweethearts at Crockettsville, where they played on the playground together as children. My grandmother told of how she and Jesse shared a seat on the see-saw.

When my father attended there, he and his friends would ride home-made "bulger wagons" down the hill. He said they also had to cross the hill over to Wilhite Road to fetch water at the spring.

The school still stands but is now a private residence, as pictured here.

2 comments:

S. A. Baker said...

Want to know how Crockettsville School got its name, for whom, what date established, is it still standing today? Are there Crocketts in the area now?

Janni said...

Yes, the school is still standing, but it's a residence now. When I was last inside it, the owners shared with me a video about the school's history. I'll see whether I can find that and whether it has more helpful info in it. I'll post it here when I find it.