Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Veterans

As we honor our Veterans this week, I feel it's appropriate to post about an interesting find I had on a research trip. Daddy and I had driven in search of a cemetery off Wilhite, where he remembered attending a funeral as a little boy. I was looking for the graves of my great, great grandparents, but we stumbled across something else.

As we turned onto a small lane, we stopped to ask a man in his yard whether he could tell us about any cemeteries on that road. I explained that we were doing a little research on the family tree and mentioned some names. The man, whose last name was Branam, then said he had something I might want to see, and he brought out this flag. He explained that during World War II, Bethany Baptist Church had sewn the names of local soldiers onto the stars. There on the flag was my Uncle Doyle Loveday's name. To this day, I regret not offering to buy the flag, because I honestly think the man was almost suggesting that I might want to do that.

Other names include Hurst, Thomas, Webb, Rolen, Williams, Odom, Ball, Blalock, Elidge, and Branam. If you click on the photo, you can see some of the names a little better.

2 comments:

Les Barr said...

Greetings from Les!

I like your Blog. I came across it from another one that you have listed. Love the great State Of Tennessee. Have been there a number of times in my past. Have good memories of Greenville, TN and Gatlinbug. All of my relation is now gone, but I still have a great respect for the Southern people, the way they live, Southern cookin', and good ole' Southern hospitality.

Stay Well, yha all! - Les

Janni said...

Thanks, Les! I checked out your blog, too, and found that you've got some interesting stuff there!